[CalendarServer-dev] [sussex.ac.uk #6041] Calendar server: support for metadata? (Context: time allocation surveys etc.)

Graham Perrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Wed Nov 22 12:20:25 PST 2006

Dear list

I'm not a developer, but I have a suggestion/question (probably
very basic) re Darwin Calendar Server/Apple iCal Server:

* is there scope for events to be tagged with metadata, such as
'category'?

Background
----------

Most recently, in the context of
<http://www.hefce.ac.uk/research/funding/dual/trac.htm>

> One of the major activities involved is the annual time returns (In
> Year Time Allocation Schedule & Time Allocation Survey) for
> academic staff

and

> You will be required to complete a time survey for 6 separate weeks
> of the year, once every three years.

It might not sound much, but it can be tedious! My workers may be
working on multiple projects, each of which may require time
sheets of a different nature, and this particular survey is just
one more to add to the list. </end sob story>

Notion
------

If calendar events can be categorised (in our HEFCE-related
example, only three are required: 'Teaching', 'Research' and
'Other'), then applications could be designed to gather the
required survey data. (Maybe such applications already exist?)

Such applications are beyond the scope of this list, but you see
why I'm writing/asking:

* if the GUI of the calendar server/client is simple enough, then
adding metadata (such as category) to events, at time of entry,
becomes less of a chore.

Fewer systems/procedures/surveys to worry about. Everyone's
happier. The calendar server becomes everyone's friend :-)

Incidentally, whilst I'm no fan of project management software, I
am impressed by the simplicity of Basecamp
<http://www.basecamphq.com/> and its interactions with iCal. See
<http://www.basecamphq.com/tour-milestones.php> and my example at
<http://omnium.freeman-centre.ac.uk/~gjp22/rt/7277/71419.png>.
It's this type of simplicity + extensibility that I'd like to see
in the forthcoming calendar server...

Many thanks for your consideration.

Regards

Graham Perrin, Projects Media Development Officer
CENTRIM - <http://www.brighton.ac.uk/centrim/>
<sip:17476059854 at proxy01.sipphone.com>
+44-1273-877922
<http://schooltool.freeman-centre.ac.uk/persons/gjp22/calendar/