[CalendarServer-dev] GET with if-none-match

Helge Heß me at helgehess.eu
Thu Aug 14 15:31:07 PDT 2008

On 14.08.2008, at 23:20, Wilfredo Sánchez Vega wrote:
>  Our ETags are usually MD5 sums, not timestamp-looking things.  Is
> this for non-calendar resources?

No. Anyways, I couldn't reproduce the issue easily, hm. Will watch it
and come back on it if necessary.

>  I'm not aware of any cases where we stick on "-gzip", for example.

You never do. Its a special Apache/libneon hack :-) Which per RFC
should not confuse you.

When Apache send a resource with content-encoding: gzip, it adds "-
gzip" to the ETag (for no good reason. While different etags for
different content representation are allowed, its not required either.
Unfortunately libneon does not seem to support TE out of the box).

Anyways, we send an conditional GET to catch both cases:

   If-None-Match: "abc", "abc"-gzip

and CalServer should just check whether one of the two does not match
(it works fine with Apache).
I had the impression that CalServer gets confused by multiple etags in
the if-none-match header, but as I said I can't reproduce it easily.

Thanks,
   Helge