[CalendarServer-dev] Hoping for a sanity check: Chapter 2

Mark Cockfield mark.cockfield at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 23:53:52 PDT 2008

Hi Helge,

Thanks for the feedback.

The application, which I am developing for a client and therefore need to
discuss in general terms, will basically be coordinating activities in a
mentoring type of an environment. Each event will have fairly involved
domain specific attributes and logic linked to it by "X-" iCalendar
attributes pointing to records in a relational database. The Calendar Server
scheduling, notification, and interoperability will be critical features,
and really provide all of the groupware functionality I require. The bulk of
the application will be the unique domain functionality that I will have to
build on top of it.

Let me preface my thoughts by saying that I have not spent much time
exploring the Calendar Server data model, other than what I have gleaned
from the RFCs, and am only attempting to open a dialog at this point because
of the two tickets relating, very closely, to my own initial thoughts.

My initial thought is that if the number users grows into the thousands a
file system based repository could become unwieldy thus resulting in
maintenance/management issues. Then I started wondering about the
scalability of time range filtered reports and performance in general. I was
also thinking that atomic commits would be an important design requirement,
but I seem to be moving away from that possibility.

Anyway, now that I have a better vision on the front-end, I am hoping to
bring the back-end into focus.

Regards,

Mark