[CalendarServer-dev] Hoping for a sanity check: Chapter 2

Helge Heß me at helgehess.eu
Thu Oct 16 10:02:02 PDT 2008

On 16.10.2008, at 18:55, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> Don't forget thin clients or web clients which may have little or no
> cache. I know several groups working on web-based solutions and they
> nearly always use the time-range reporting capability of CalDAV to
> retrieve just the events they need for display purposes. Our current
> strategy does deal with that reasonably efficiently in that time-
> range queries are handled via an sqlite DB for each calendar.

Well, IMHO this isn't the best idea, really :-) Even for a webapps the
speed will be magnitudes better if they sync changes to a
'local' (middleware) cache and work on top of that.
Running a SQL query against an RDBMS is (very) much faster than doing
a REPORT via HTTP.

Best of all, it works with GroupDAV servers too! (eg plain mod_dav) ;-)

Greets,
   Helge

PS: I still think it would be pretty nice if a webapp could directly
use the SQLite structures of CalServer. Somewhat similiar to SOGo.
--
Helge Hess
http://helgehess.eu/