[CalendarServer-dev] Hoping for a sanity check

Mark Cockfield mark.cockfield at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 14:34:20 PDT 2008

Greetings,

I am developing an RIA in Flex which needs to be built upon a calendaring
foundation. After discovering that the CalendarServer is the Holy Grail I
have not only found my foundation, but a good part of my infrastructure as
well. Really nice work!

Now imagine my disappointment upon realizing that Actionscript has been
apparently locked down to only allow GET and POST http methods.

After considerable thrashing about I seem to be faced with the following two

1. Code my own HTTP client in Actionscript at the socket level.

2. Use PyAMF and the Twisted Gateway to hook a Remote Messaging interface
into the Calendar Service.

As I don't really relish the thought of #1, and though I'm still fairly
early in the Python/Twisted/PyAMF/CalendarServer learning curve, I think #2
might have some merit.

The current line of reasoning is that in cluster.py where the memccahed and
notification processes are being added to monitor a twisted gateway process
could be added as well.

Then in tap.py, after site = Site(realRoot), "site" could be added to the
gateway as the remote object to call...?

The idea being that you would simply send HTTP requsts in an array through
the AMF channel to the appropriate method on the server.

So what I'm hoping for is that someone might be able to tell me I am either
out of my mind, or better yet, on the right track.

Mark