[CalendarServer-dev] Groups and membership

Wilfredo Sánchez Vega wsanchez at apple.com
Mon Sep 8 10:52:35 PDT 2008

   What I'd like us to achieve going forward (ideally in Snow Leopard)
with regards to our uses of groups in iCal Server.

   1- It's OK for location and resource GUIDs to be members of
groups.  It's not exactly normal, but it's valid and OK, so let's not
worry about that.  So for the "enabled for calendaring" group, feel
free to throw these objects into the group.

   2- We need to limit our use of groups to "is X a member of Y",
which is an operation we can make against DS very quickly and very
frequently.  We needn't cache this, on the expectation that it should
be fast enough.

   3- Which means we need to get rid of cases where we try to
enumerate all members of a group, or the groups a principal is a
member of.  This one is tough due to the current delegate model.  It
means the DAV:group-memberships and DAV:groups should generally be
deprecated.  I think that's doable for principals other than the
delegate sub-principals without breaking current functionality, and
for delegate sub-principals, we can keep flattened lists cached.

   If we do this, we should be able to do all group membership checks
via DS and without needing an in-memory cache.

	-wsv