[CalendarServer-dev] [CalendarServer] #330: group as no calendar home

Helge Heß me at helgehess.eu
Fri Apr 3 12:25:51 PDT 2009

On 03.04.2009, at 19:50, CalendarServer wrote:
> Hrm.  We removed calendaring for groups because the scheduling
> implications of groups are pretty gnarly.  ie. we don't know what it
> means to invite a group to a meeting.

You need to distinguish between shared calendars and group attendees,
they have little to do with each other? I assume shared calendars
would never be 'scheduling collections', but just regular CalDAV
collections.

Shared calendars are not necessarily attached to a group, though
having shared calendars for groups per default is often a useful setup
(similiar to having a Wiki per group, AFS folder per group etc).

Many people do not use that 'invitation' flow at all, they just create
the event in a shared location and its done.

> Of course we assumed nobody uses groups, since iCal doesn't support
> them.
> Are you cheating and adding the group account URL into account prefs?

Why is that cheating, but sure!

Would be nice if iCal.app would accept arbitrary CalDAV collection
URLs instead of just principal URLs. Eg another use case are per
project task/event/contact collections.
(very very common in Exchange, people just create a shared folder for
a project and then the folders they need for that below that project
folder).

Greets,
   Helge
--