[CalendarServer-dev] Which openldap directoryservice to use?

Morgen Sagen sagen at apple.com
Wed Apr 15 09:57:55 PDT 2009

On Apr 14, 2009, at 1:45 PM, Eli Bach wrote:

> Which is preferable to use from the CalendarServer trunk?
>
> This is for a CalDAV server, with users/groups/etc in an
> OpenDirectory server (accessed through DirectoryServices)
>
> twistedcaldav/directory/appleopendirectory.py
> or
> twistedcaldav/directory/cachingappleopendirectory.py
>
> Eli

The appleopendirectory version is the one that's been around for a
while, so it's potentially more stable, but the startup time can be
long if your directory has a large number of users/groups (because
this code reads all directory records in from the OD server -- and
actually does this *per* calendar server "slave" process).  The
cachingappleopendirectory version not only faults records in only as
needed, but uses memcache to share those records amongst the calendar
server processes.  We are still evaluating the performance benefits of
this new version.  Note also that resource delegation (being able to
specify which users are allowed to be delegates for a resource or
location) is not yet supported in cachingappleopendirectory yet.

~morgen