[CalendarServer-dev] [CalendarServer] #207: Recurring events do not appear to extend beyond November 2008

Peter Mogensen apm at one.com
Wed Jan 28 02:04:20 PST 2009

CalendarServer wrote:
> #207: Recurring events do not appear to extend beyond November 2008
> -------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
>   Reporter:  dekkerdreyer@…          |       Owner:  sagen@…
>       Type:  Defect                  |      Status:  closed
>  Component:  Calendar Server         |    Severity:  Serious
> Resolution:  Software changed        |    Keywords:
> -------------------------------------+--------------------------------------

Well... this bug has a corollary.
With the ability to create events longer into the future the possibility
that a user will create an event with more than "max_allowed_instances"
(currently 1000) increases.

 From instance.py:

# The maximum number of instances we will ezpand out to.
# Raise a TooManyInstancesError exception if we exceed this.
max_allowed_instances = 1000

... which will make events disappear again.

I see no good solution to this without some mechanism for the user to
clean up old calendars, so the don't unnecessarily contain - say - 5
year old daily events.

/Peter