[CalendarServer-dev] Unbound RRULE rewritten to COUNT=400

Helge Heß me at helgehess.eu
Wed Jul 1 07:44:24 PDT 2009

On 01.07.2009, at 16:31, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> We deliberately truncate unbounded RRULEs that would generate too
> many instances in our index for performance reasons.

OK.

I still wonder if it would be better for the usability if we re-
translate the 400 to unbound. Hm. Would it make sense to add a
property which signals the truncation?
(BTW: most clients will probably never use server side RRULE
expansion? A webclient is the only thing which might make use of those
REPORTs, hence the indices?)

> At some point we may also revise our indexing to remove the
> performance issue at which point truncation may not be needed - but
> for now it is better to do it.

Can't you just keep 'small' events in the index and evaluate others in
memory? I think thats what I originally did in SOGo.

This DAViCal thing is also quite interesting:
   http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git?a=blob;f=dba/rrule_functions.sql;hb=HEAD

Greets,
   Helge
--