[CalendarServer-dev] UIDs as ATTENDEE IDs, please fix that

Helge Heß me at helgehess.eu
Sun May 17 06:14:38 PDT 2009

OK,

rereading the thread it sounds like you refuse to fix it. I guess
there is little we can do about it besides filing bug reports listing
Lightning, Evolution, Kontact, ... interoperability issues :-)

So lets focus on how a client can resolve the 'Apple way' GUIDs and
how all that works internally.

a) if a client PUTs a message with attendees like that:

      ATTENDEE:mailto:abc at def.de

    CalServer will lookup the mailto in its directory and replace
    it with:
      ATTENDEE;X-CALENDAR-SERVER-EMAIL=abc at def.de:urn:uuid:29382..

    The server will do this instantly and the client needs to do
    a GET after each PUT.

a1) Question: what happens if the mailto is not in the local
     directory, but points to an external participant?
     (eg comes from a CardDAV server)

a2) Can you return modified content in the PUT response, with a
     200 OK instead of requiring a reGET? (not sure whether that
     would be OK will HTTP)

b) if a client PUTs a message with an attendee and a GUID like that:

      ATTENDEE:urn:uuid:98283...

    The UUID is not a CalServer one, its created by the client (or
    some other server).
    What will happen with that, stored as-is?

c) you mention that there will be an Apple specific REPORT to
    retrieve information about GUID attendees.
    To avoid additional HTTP IO, can we have it that way:

      <?xml version="1.0"?>
      <C:calendar-multiget xmlns="DAV:"
           xmlns:C="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:caldav"
           xmlns:A="http://calendarserver.org/ns/">