[CalendarServer-dev] Does timezones have to be so slow?

Peter Mogensen apm at one.com
Wed Apr 21 00:55:21 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm experiencing slow REPORT/calendar-query responses on medium large
calendars.
calendarserver is spending a lot of time adding VTIMEZONE components to
VEVENTS - and sadly it seems to be the same calculations done every time
(all events are the same timezone).
tzinfo is cached by vobject (helped by timezones.py), but the settzinfo
method on TimezoneComponent is still doing the same job again and again.

It would seem obvious to me to cache TimezoneComponent objects, maybe
with a validity tag, which gives you the valid timerange for this
VTIMEZONE component.
This might also help get around the problem that vobject only expands
timezone defs from 2000 to 2030

Any gotcha, I've overlooked which explains why TimezoneComponents are
not already cached?

/P