[CalendarServer-dev] [Calendar and Contacts Server] #421: Create PostgreSQL DB on run CalendarServer - could not create shared memory segment

Calendar and Contacts Server trac at macosforge.org
Tue Apr 5 11:06:29 PDT 2011

#421: Create PostgreSQL DB on run CalendarServer - could not create shared memory
segment
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  donaldinos@…          |       Owner:  dre@…
     Type:  Defect                |      Status:  new

Comment(by dre@…):

 Hello,

 Different OSes have different defaults for shared memory settings. Here's
 a link to the postgres documentation around shared memory and how it is
 configured on various OSes: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive
 /kernel-resources.html

 I don't have any FreeBSD stuff set up at the moment so I can't test this,
 but you should be able to raise shmall, shmmax, and semmap as shown in the
 documentation. You may have to experiment a bit to find suitable values.
 Please let us know what works for you.

 Since changing these settings requires superuser access, this isn't
 something that Calendar Server could or should do for you automatically.
 The end result of this could be that we simply improve our documentation
 to make sure users know to set shared memory settings appropriately.

 Cheers,
 -dre

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.calendarserver.org/ticket/421#comment:3>