[CalendarServer-dev] unsupported property TZNAME - failed to import ical

Cyrus Daboo cdaboo at apple.com
Tue Aug 14 10:47:44 PDT 2012

Hi Rahul,

--On August 15, 2012 2:06:17 AM +0530 Rahul Amaram
<amaramrahul at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> The ical file at https://penta.debconf.org/dc9_schedule/schedule.en.ics
> fails to import. The original Debian bug report can be found at
> http://bugs.debian.org/536101.
>
> Kindly guide me in properly resolving this bug.

The calendar data is invalid.

In particular the VTIMEZONE component is bogus:

BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:CET
TZNAME:Europe/Madrid
END:VTIMEZONE

The TZNAME property that appears there is not defined for use within that
component, it is only allowed in STANDARD and DAYLIGHT components. Neither
of STANDARD or DAYLIGHT is present which is also a violation of the
specification. Thus the specific VTIMEZONE is totally useless as it does
not contain any information.

Next, the DTSTAMP values are wrong, e.g.:

DTSTAMP:20090721T170000

The value is required to be specified in UTC - i.e. a trailing 'Z' on the
value is missing.

The URL values are not well-formed, e.g.:

URL:/dc9_schedule/events/483.en.html

Really they should have http://<<host>> specified to make them useful.

You need to get the originator of this calendar data to fix their code to
generate valid iCalendar data.

--
Cyrus Daboo