[CalendarServer-dev] [CalendarServer-users] server error "access is not permitted"

Cyrus Daboo cdaboo at apple.com
Thu Nov 15 06:55:05 PST 2012

Hi Mark,

--On November 15, 2012 12:37:26 PM +0100 Mark Jaekel <mjaekel at datameer.com>
wrote:

> we are running calendar server on Mac OS X Server 10.7.4 (Build 11E53)
> clients: Mac OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.5, 10.8.2, and iOS5, iOS6
>
> sometimes, if someone receive a "external" invitation per mail attachment
> (*.ics file) and try to add this event in iCal, the server responds with
> an error message: The server responded with an error.
> Access to "event-name" in "calendar-name" in account "account-name" is
> not permitted. The server responded:
> "403"
> to operation CalDAVWriteEntityQueueableOperation.
>
> i can reproduce this behavior when I create a event in a "local" calendar
> in iCal and invite an attendee per mail/ics-file and the receiver try to
> add this event in iCal on Mac OS X 10.6.8 (in this case this error didn't
> appear on 10.7 or 10.8) following entry appears in caldavd error.log:
> 2012-11-14 12:29:44+0100 [-] [caldav-7]  [PooledMemCacheProtocol,client]
> [twistedcaldav.method.put_common#error] Attendee cannot create event for
> Organizer: 2
>
> can someone explain why this happen or how we can avoid this error when
> getting invitations from external or per mail/*.ics-file ?

The server will not allow an attendee to store an event that has another
user (also hosted on the server) as an organizer, if the organizer's copy
of the event is not present. In your case, create the initial event in a
server calendar rather than a local calendar as the organizer - then it
will propagate correctly to all attendees and stay in sync as changes are
made.

--
Cyrus Daboo