[CalendarServer-dev] Migrating GUIDs & Tasks Support

Rahul Amaram amaramrahul at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 14 10:48:11 PDT 2014

On Monday 14 April 2014 10:20 PM, Morgen Sagen wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2014, at 9:27 PM, Rahul Amaram <amaramrahul at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am trying to push Calendarserver 5.x into Ubuntu Trusty (due to release on April 17). While testing I have found two issues. Any help to have them resolved would be great.
>>
>> 1. Earlier, for XML entries, I have distributed a sample accounts.xml file with the guid same as the uid (for ex. admin, test, etc.). However, with calendarserver 5.x, I can see that these kind of guids are considered invalid. Now, I figured out that the valid guid can be generated from the function 'str(uuid4()).upper()'. But how do I migrate the data from older guids to the newer guids? Is there any database update command that I can run?
>>
> The behavior you’re describing is not in a 5.x release, it’s only on trunk right now.  We’ll sort out a way to upgrade data in the 6.x release.
Ok. So, is there any workaround (easy or difficult) for users who are
now using xml directory with invalid guids? I mean as soon as they
upgrade to 5.x from 3.x or 2.x, all their data would no longer be
accessible. What can be done to fix this?

One workaround that I could think of is to comment out the line "assert
len(name) > 4, ..." in twistedcaldav/directory/common.py while compiling
but I am not sure if it is such a good idea.

Kindly advise on what is the best approach.

>> 2. Next, I have observed that for calendarserver 5.x, tasks are disabled when I access the calendar from Thunderbird. I am not sure if tasks have been disabled upstream or whether there is some compatibility issue with Thunderbird & Apple calendarserver.
>>
> VTODOs (tasks) have been split out into separate calendar collections, so you probably just need to add the “tasks” calendar to your client as well.

What would the url be like? For calendar, I have been using
http://calenarserver:8008/calendars/users/<user>/calendar/.