[CalendarServer-users] adding events to DCS via a web interface

Maxime Wacker mwacker at linagora.com
Mon Feb 5 12:00:42 PST 2007

Le 5 févr. 07 à 20:13, Joe Auty a écrit :

> How hard would it be to create a web interface CalDAV client that
> would upload/modify events to a DCS server?

i'm almost sure to have read somewhere that Apple itself will deliver
such web access in front of DCS (but i don't think it will be
opensource like DCS).

> Could a tool such as Cadaver be used for this, or would this be a
> lot more involved and complicated?

Cadaver is a command line interface webdav client. Nothing to do with
web !
But yes since a caldav server is webdav server (with some more
stuff), you can access DCS from cadaver.
But it's not very usable.

> Just looking for a general sense what I'd be getting to here if I
> decided to write one of my own =)

I'm currently learning Twisted, the python framework DCS is built upon.
I'm not Twisted expert for now, but what i understand is that well
written twisted servers separate cleanly internal application logic
(managing calendar events) from the different protocols to access it.
If DCS follows this rule (not sure about it for now), adding web
frontend to DCS within twisted could be done cleanly (but not as easy
as saying it :).

Another approach could be a piece of software with 2 sides :
a webserver on one side, that gives HTML representation of DCS
calendars, and simultanously a caldav client on the other side, to
interact with DCS transparently, like any other client.

There is also a third approach. Write a pure AJAX-like client that
sends caldav request directly to DCS (without intermediate web server).

Every approach would need to have a good knowledge of Twisted (so
learn it, like i do :)