[CalendarServer-users] Does Leopard server use _calendar as user?

Emil Lundberg Emil.Lundberg at bmc.uu.se
Thu Nov 8 12:07:54 PST 2007

8 nov 2007 kl. 19.25 skrev Stonewall Ballard:

> I see from dscl . -list /Users, that there are a bunch of what look
> like daemon users predefined on non-Server Leopard. One of these is
> _calendar. Is that the user and group that CalendarServer run under
> with Leopard Server?

Yes.

> If I want to use this for the CalendarServer, do I name the user &
> group as "calendar" or "_calendar"? I've not seen this leading
> underscore convention before.

I think you can get away with either. The system will show you
_calendar as the user/group regardless, and as dscl will show you:

% dscl . -read /Users/calendar
AppleMetaNodeLocation: /Local/Default
NFSHomeDirectory: /var/empty
Password: *
PrimaryGroupID: 93
RealName: Calendar
RecordName: _calendar calendar
RecordType: dsRecTypeStandard:Users
UniqueID: 93
UserShell: /usr/bin/false

calendar and _calendar are both valid uids for this user. Apparently
Apple has chosen the "_" convention for daemon accounts on Leopard, as
this was not the case on Tiger.

/Emil