[CalendarServer-users] Lost newbie: Can't access via IP address although localhost works

Steven Chan bookondesk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 16:24:08 PST 2007

Hi, folks,

Newbie warning:  you may need to speak slooowly to be understood, as
my UNIX skills are still nascent... ;-)

I've installed Calendar Server from today's trunk on Leopard desktop
client 10.5.1 (not OS X Server).  It compiled fine and runs without
errors. I haven't altered the default caldavd-dev.plist.  My Leopard
client is connected to a D-Link 624 via DHCP, where it's been given an
IP of 192.168.0.102.

What works:
--------------
I can connect to it via iCal 3.0.1 (1205) using admin/admin against http://localhost:8008
.  I've been able to create a couple of new CalDAV calendars using my
local iCal client and the admin/admin account.

I can also connect via Firefox 2.x against http://localhost:8008 and https://localhost:8443
.

So far so good.  Substituting 127.0.0.1 for in both test cases work as
expected, too.

What doesn't work:
----------------------
My local network IP address is 192.168.0.102.

I cannot access the Calendar Server via http://192.168.0.102:8008.  I
can ping this address using Network Utility running locally as well as
from other Macs.

This fails locally in Firefox with the following error:  "Firefox
can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.0.102:8008."

This fails locally in iCal with the following error:  "Account
information not found.  Connection to the server 192.168.0.102 was
refused."

Can anyone shed some light on why requests to localhost work but
requests to my explicit IP fail?

Regards,
Steven