[CalendarServer-users] Calendar ACLs

Cyrus Daboo cdaboo at apple.com
Fri Oct 19 12:46:36 PDT 2007

Hi Darren,

--On October 19, 2007 2:33:45 PM -0500 Darren Hildebrand
<dhildebrand at franticfilms.com> wrote:

> I asked about this once before and never got a response, so I'm just
> wondering if there's been any progress in the area of calendar ACLs.
>
> I'm trying to set up a calendar server with group calendars to which most
> people will have read only access, and a few key people will have write
> access as well. Is there currently a way to set up a permission scheme
> like this? From my research, I read that ACL support is implemented in
> the server, but that no clients exist to take advantage of this. Is this
> still the case? If so, is there a way to manually change ACLs from the
> server?

WebDAV ACL is fully supported on the server. We currently have no tools of
our own to allow manipulation of the ACLs either through WebDAV or directly
via the local properties database.

There are few, if any, clients that supprot ACL management directly.
Mulberry (<http://www.mulberrymail.com>) is one of those.

Alternatively if you know enought about the protocol, you can manually
execute the WebDAV ACL method against the server to set ACLs. It should be
possible to handcraft the ACL request headers and body and then send those
via telnet to the server to set ACLs.

Obviously we would like to have a better way to manage ACLs than this. The
best option is something that uses the WebDAV ACL method to manipulate the
ACLs rather than trying to change data in the server's repository directly.
It ought to be possible to put together a basic script to do that.

--
Cyrus Daboo