[CalendarServer-users] Older iCal works...sometimes

Cyrus Daboo cdaboo at apple.com
Sun Oct 28 10:29:14 PDT 2007

Hi Emil,

--On October 28, 2007 6:03:45 PM +0100 Emil Lundberg
<Emil.Lundberg at bmc.uu.se> wrote:

> Vice-versa, and perhaps more importantly; any calendar created by iCal 3
> through CalDAV will not be viewable by older, WebDAV-based clients.
>
> Hopefully, this little exercise has not been entirely confusing... :-)

Actually that is not quite right. Our server will return an entire .ics
file if you do a GET on the CalDAV calendar collection. e.g. if you point
your WebDAV calendar client to /calendars/users/cdaboo/calendar on the
server (using your own user id and a valid calendar name) you should be
able to "Subscribe" to the calendar. You won't be able to "publish" to that
calendar, but if all you want is read-only access then that will work.

Note, however, that this is a "private" extension to CalDAV - there is no
guarantee it will always work that way, though there isn't any obvious
reason why it would change.

Several other CalDAV servers have implemented the same behavior as the
ability to subscribe like this is handy to support existing web-calendar
clients.

--
Cyrus Daboo