[CalendarServer-users] OS X Calendar Server launchd -- or alternatives

John Berliner john at johnberliner.com
Tue Dec 16 12:24:03 PST 2008

Our caldavd runs fine on a vanilla OS X machine (not server) via the
run script, in standalone or daemon (-d) mode.

Our last step is to get launchd to start caldav. I've created
a .plist file in /Library/LaunchDaemons, based on the sample file
supplied in trunk's /contrib directory and guidelines from Apple's
site. But no amount of fiddling with the file seems to convince
launchctl to actually get python+caldav started.

My main question is: can the launchd plist file invoke the run
script, or must it call the caldav daemon directly as in the sample
file? (Trying to do so now causes path/environment errors, twisted
can't find Zope, etc.) If I use the run script to do a system
install, where is the canonical location for a base install location?
(It looks like "run -i /" would work...most stuff going to /usr/local
I think)

Any success stories or alternatives here would be much appreciated. I
know Apple wants everyone to move to launchd, so I'd prefer doing it
this way rather than using a deprecated method (rc.local, for example).

Thanks
John Berliner
Live Oak School