[CalendarServer-users] iCal server perfomance issues.

David Reid dreid at apple.com
Wed Feb 13 09:47:36 PST 2008

Hi Silas,

On Feb 13, 2008, at 9:31 AM, Silas Thomas wrote:

>> Hi Silas,
>>
>> --On February 13, 2008 9:22:41 AM -0800 Silas Thomas <silas at uoregon.edu
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> We've implemented iCal here and are having some performance
>>> issues. iCal
>>> server stats: 162 accounts, 65 calendars, 100 groups, 3000+
>>> events, disk
>>> usage is 30kb on Intel Xserve Leopard server. We have all users
>>> calendars
>>> delegated to all other users, and about half of those users
>>> viewing all
>>> others calendars. We have a good DNS and resolution. When a user
>>> opens
>>> their iCal it may take up to 20 minutes to an hour or more for their
>>> calendar to sync, and the server pegs out at near 100% cpu usage
>>> for all
>>> the python processes _Calendar user. Not to mention that it takes
>>> forever
>>> for iCal to display the available calendars for access in the
>>> preferences. All machines are leopard and bound to the OD, single
>>> server
>>> setup.
>>>
>>> Has anyone experienced anything similar, and what did you do to
>>> correct
>>> the problem?
>>
>> So some user's iCal has ~160 delegate calendars shown in the UI?
>>
>> Can you send all or a portion of your access.log?
>>
>> --
>> Cyrus Daboo
>>

> Nope... maybe 35, we have about 45 total OD User accounts, iCal
> server is showing 162 accounts.

If you are using caladmin to get these stats I believe there is a bug
where it also counts some of the calendar proxy principals.  Instead
of just user accounts.

162/3 = 54 so my guess is you have 54 total OD accounts and caladmin
is counting users plus the 2 proxy principals.

-David