[CalendarServer-users] Configuring server for htdigest authentication with Apache 2.2 - errors

Matt Poff matt.poff at headfirst.co.nz
Wed Jan 16 15:49:20 PST 2008

Hi all,

Have downloaded the latest stable source from svn and compiled on
CentOS/RHEL5. Other than the PyKerberos dependency not resolving (I
located the package via the OS's package manager) everything installed
and ran OK until I tried to configure authentication using htdigest (or
htpasswd for that matter). Using either of these options the server
wouldn't start.

I located this ticket on the site, which provides default values for the
Apache access methods and looked promising.
http://trac.calendarserver.org/projects/calendarserver/ticket/136

I initially tried installing the latest patch available which patched
about 5 times, failing in one location. I replaced with the original
source and tried patching with the  config.py.patch (01/11/07). This
applied successfully and the server now runs but I cannot log in and get
this error in the server log after attempting to:

 File
"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/CalendarServer/twistedcaldav/config.py",
line 210, in update
    raise ConfigurationError(
twistedcaldav.config.ConfigurationError: Default service parameters must
be specified in twistedcaldav.directory.apache.DigestDirectoryService
using the 'defaultParams' class variable or via the
'defaultServiceParams' module variable in twistedcaldav.config.

So I installed the next most recent patch (extensible_config.patch)
which partially worked, two hunks failing.

Am I on the right track here? Should I even be applying these patches to
the current release? Are there additional XML parameters required?

Really appreciate any help.

Matt