[CalendarServer-users] iCal server perfomance issues.

Cyrus Daboo cdaboo at apple.com
Tue Mar 4 07:59:42 PST 2008

Hi Silas,

--On March 3, 2008 11:40:07 AM -0800 Silas Thomas <silas at uoregon.edu> wrote:

> Attached are sample logs during high CPU usage on iCal open.

Yup looks like iCal is making way too many PROPFINDs and the server is
having a hard time keeping up. When the server starts up those PROPFINDs
are executing in about 30 ms which is about right. But after a while the
time starts to increase a lot, in the worse case taking over 6 seconds.
That seems to start happening when the number of requests per second
increases (gets as high as 40+ per second). In theory we should be able to
cope with that particularly on a 4-core system so we need to analyze this
some more.

Right now if you want to have a usable system you are going to have to
restrict the number of delegates that people setup because that is causing
iCal to do all those PROPFINDs.

--
Cyrus Daboo