[CalendarServer-users] Multi-user XMLDirectoryService

Alan Levin alan at futureperfect.co.za
Thu Mar 20 06:11:12 PDT 2008

Hi,

On 19 Mar 2008, at 11:11 PM, Gerald McNulty wrote:
> I've been playing around with multi-user access under the
> XMLDirectoryService and had the following questions:

We've been playing around with this for over 18 months and I apologise
for any negative sentiment here, but I suggest that Apple have not
been very helpful in this project. Cyrus, maybe you can tell us a
little about how your time is spent on this?

I've been following this list since Aug 2006 and last year I was
disappointed that we had to wait for Leopard to make use of this
software. Now that I've installed Leopard and spent many hours playing
with the config files I have lost confidence in this project.

There is no doubt that the world needs a good calendar server as MS
Exchange seems to be the only viable option (and I cannot bring myself
to using it for clients - we just do not like supporting the MS
platform). Zimbra seems to be a potential alternative but too
expensive. DAViCal looks interesting but really just experimental.

Gerald asks superb questions, and definitely the same position we're
in right now:

> - Is it possible to allow users to access the calendar of other
> users? Either read-only or read-write but without sharing
> credentials. I can see how this can be done using <location> via
> <proxies>, but can it be done directly as a user? Or do I need to
> hack it using a resource or location? Is there a recommended way of
> doing this?
>
> - What's the difference between a resource and a location?
>
> - What's the meaning of the <password> field for groups, locations
> and resources?
>
> - Under <proxies>, what are valid <member type=... values and what's
> their meaning? Is this where I can use groups?

His questions reflect some other observations:
- Lacking of documentations
- If you search apples web site for calendarserver = no results
- After more than 2 years, this is simply not scalable in it's current
form
- Doesn't seem to be working (as per the questions above).
- The project makes use of outdated or bloated components

I really hope that there is a way to salvage this. The idea in
principle is superb.

Sincerely,

Alan

--