[CalendarServer-users] Calendar server, opendirectory, ldap and users

Joël Brogniart Joel.Brogniart at univ-lyon2.fr
Sat Nov 29 10:54:24 PST 2008

Hi there,

I'd like to set a Mac OS X calendar server but Apple's documentation
is far from clear on this topic.

I have a Mac OS X server that is bound to an Opendirectory and a LDAP
server. The OD server is used to manage special users and groups and
the LDAP server contain all users. I don't have write access to the
LDAP server and the LDAP server is not a standard (neither AD nor
standard Unix).

I configured LDAP mappings so that user can authenticate, find their
home directory.. They are authenticated against the LDAP server. That
works fine for web site authentication, personal web site...

Now, I'd like to permit to some users to have a calendar on calendar
server. There is no problem for Opendirectory users, but I'd like to
permit LDAP  users too. As I can't write to the LDAP server, I can't
use Workgroup manager to configure user's calendar rights.

Do the calendar server have to have write autorisation to the LDAP
server or can I use LDAP mapping to generate calendar needed data?

If I can use LDAP mapping, what are the needed attribut in order for a
user to be able to have calendar server access with ldap bind
authentication?

Why is it so complicated to put a calendar server in place? No need to
answer to this one :-)

English is not my native language and I'm not sure that my questions
are clear enougth so, please ask for more information is needed.

Thanks for any response.

Joël