[CalendarServer-users] Users and groups, but no teams. Really? I don´t get it...

Jörg Roßdeutscher joerg.rossdeutscher at factordesign.com
Thu Oct 9 09:51:51 PDT 2008

Hello everybody,

I have CalendarServer up and running. I have replaced the demo users
by two real accounts. I can configure groups and ressources and…
All is working fine.

However — how is this thing intended to be used in teams in a small
business environment? I don´t get it.

Possibly I should describe what we are doing at the moment in iCal
+WebDAV. We want to rebuild that features with DCS plus getting more
flexible, because publishing ics files over webdav doesn´t allow
multiple user writing into one calendar.

At them moment everyone here (30 people) has a local calendar. They
publish via webdav on our webserver.
A little perl script I wrote samples those calendars every 5 minutes
to team calendar files. People subscribe to that files.

So, if „Carl“ creates an event in his calendar, this event after 5
minutes also appears in the created calendars "project managers" and
"CEOs", prefixed with "Carl: ". Because Carl is member of those
groups. Susan is member of "project managers", but not in "CEOs", so
her events appear in the first calendar, but not in the second.

{To be exact, Carl publishes a second calendar which is semi-private.
When sampled to the team-calender, the content is replaced by "Carl
private", so others can see Carl is not inhouse, but not why. But I
thing this is out of scope here atm.}

If I want to find a good time for a meeting of all project managers,
in iCal I switch of all calendars except "project managers" and look
for a gap.

That works great - but, unfortunately, in example our reception can
SEE when the boss is not here, but she can make or change no entries
for him. That´s why we want to use DCS.

I cannot find a way to create such "real" teams with iCal and
CalendarServer.
I looks like the "groups" create nothing visual in iCal.

Here is my testing environment:

I have setup my account "Jörg" in iCal/Mac/Leo. Then I took an old
Powerbook, same config, and created a second worker, my colleague "Mr.
Laptop".

Good. Now our little company has two workers.
Both can create their own calendar events in their own calendar.

Now I want me and Mr. Laptop work in a team, the "IT Department". So I
created a group "it_department", added us both as users and expected a
folder "IT Department" appear magically somewhere in iCal, containing
one or two calendars, Mr. Laptops and my events.

It didn´t.

Hm…

I played with proxies to find out a person cannot have a proxy, only a
ressource can.

Then I played with ressources and locations. That allows us to share
the same calendar, however, since we cannot see *who* made the event it
´s useless as a team calendar. "At the customer". Who is at the
customer? Me? Mr. Laptop?

I had expected that with one account I can see the calendars of every
worker in the company in a separate calendar, r/w or r/o as I, the
admin, configured it on the server, and I can switch on/off the people
I am interested to see in iCal and can somehow (un-)mark the teams/
groups and find the same event in the calendar "Carl" and a different
calendar "Project Managers". Groups. Teams. Units. Members. Find a
time where all project managers are inhouse. Or the "Customer Miller
Team".

For me it doesn´t look like a group calendar.
It looks like people can others have a look at their own and others
calendar. And possibly change it. But it´s all about individuals, and
the "group" feature is for giving access privileges, but not for real
working groups. There are no working groups in DCS.

Am I missing something? Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Jörg