[CalendarServer-users] Mac OS X Server

Don Kruse don at stahancyk.com
Thu Feb 5 17:52:18 PST 2009

I am finally following up on this issue as a few folks have asked me
how our roll out of iCal server went.

Server Hardware:
Xserve 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 16GB RAM, 1.6TB RAID 5. (complete
overkill?)

Software/OS:
Mac OS X Server 10.5.6 (completely stock, no open-source mods) which
runs iCal, iChat, and VPN. On our network we run Open Directory,
Kerberos, and we manage our own internal DNS (all Mac OS X server
based). Everything more or less works (although I can't even keep
track of how many things I've kludged to "force" Apple server stuff to
work the way it is supposed to. For example my DNS is a clean BIND
install as I completely removed the Apple BIND setup yet it still
plays nicely with the Server Admin GUI tool.

Users:
65 users with about 20 having pre-existing calendars from NUTD each
with about 1400 events that were imported into iCal. All my users are
using various Mac systems running 10.5 (with a few throwbacks on
10.4). I expect that nearly all my users will give about 30-40 users
read permissions to their calendars and 5-8 users read/write permission.

So what happened when I rolled it out this time?
As before it was very slow for all users on the first day which I
expected. There are 52,079 events listed on the server, 56 user
calendars so far and 16 groups. There have been some brief CPU spikes
around 91% but the average CPU load works out to 26%. I am hoping that
after a week or so it will start to average 18% - 20% during business
hours. Before I loaded all the imported calendars and users started
connecting the server load averaged just 2% with the same three main
services running (iCal, iChat, VPN).

Once each user has their own calendar fully loaded as well as any
delegated calendars the iCal client remains very responsive since
events are first being cached locally. The background sync with 56
users actively using the system has--so far--had little impact on our
network. We have three satellite offices that connect over dedicated
VPNs (sonicWALLs) so their connection speeds are not always very good
but each local network is Gigabit ethernet and 802.11g wi-fi. After
the initial day's surge the average bandwidth usage on the server is
under 40 KB/s in/out with some spikes of course (at this point most of
the data is outbound which makes sense).

It is sad that such a powerful server was required to host this system
but I expect this is largely due to the fact that I was importing many
pre-existing calendars from an earlier system. If the iCal system had
been rolled out with initially empty calendars I might have been able
to get by with a slightly lesser server (but in any case the dual G4
Xserve would never had supported so many users).

- Don Kruse, IT Manager, Portland, OR