[CalendarServer-users] Best Backup Methods

odinm odinm at comcast.net
Fri Feb 27 20:56:01 PST 2009

I have a question about backups.  I recently tried to move my
calendars from an Ubuntu based server to one based on Debian (Lenny).
I had assumed that I could simply install DCS on the Debian machine,
copy over my data and configuration files, restart the server, and be
done with it.  On a client machine, I deleted the old accounts (before
first sync), then input the account data info again.  My expectation
was that the client would suck the data off the server and repopulate
the calendar, except that when I would do this, I ended up with no
group calendars.   In Apple's iCal, I would have an entry in the left
pane for the group name as I set it in Account-Preferences, but no
calendars at all, not even empty ones.  On the server, I copied the
files with the "preserve" flag from the HD of the Ubuntu system, and
did a chmod/chgrp to "caldavd".

After much fooling around, I figured out I could create a new
calendar, then import all the *.ics files from a user's ~/Library/
Calendars/CRYPTIC_STRING.caldav/2nd_CRYPTIC_STRING.calendar/Events
into the newly made calendar.  This would then transfer the calendar
data back to the server.  Once this was done, I could sync with DCS
from a different computer (accounts newly setup) and the data would
transfer from the server to the client.

I have a backup script that runs every night on the server, but the
client machines are a mix of laptops and desktops and I don't really
want to hassle with backing up the calendars from each of those.   I'm
concerned however, that I may face serious problems with restoring the
calendars if I ever have to make use of the backups because of my
experience in copying from one HD to another.

So my question, what should I be saving in my backups?  I'm saving the
config files in /etc/caldavd and the data from /var/spool/caldavd.