[CalendarServer-users] Getting started under Linux

Freek Dijkstra public at macfreek.nl
Sat Sep 18 14:48:29 PDT 2010

Stewart Adam wrote:

> Installation worked (mostly) for me but I used a system install (-i):
> $ ./run -i /opt/CalendarServer
>
> First thing you'll want to do is setup some default configs:
> $ rm -rf /opt/CalendarServer/usr/caldavd/caldavd.plist
> $ cp conf/servertoserver-test.xml
> /opt/CalendarServer/etc/caldavd/servertoserver.xml
> $ cp conf/accounts.xml /opt/CalendarServer/etc/caldavd/accounts.xml
> $ cp conf/caldavd-test.plist /opt/CalendarServer/etc/caldavd/caldavd.plist
> $ cp conf/sudoers.plist /opt/CalendarServer/etc/caldavd/sudoers.plist
> $ chmod 600 /opt/CalendarServer/etc/caldavd/*

Thanks, this seems like a reasonable approach.

> There are two bugs on Linux [1] [2] that result in in the Twisted
> extensions being installed to the wrong place on 64-bit systems,
> resulting in an error similar to what you're describing - are you on
> x86_64 by any chance?

No, on powerpc.

But thanks for the explanation, since it helped me with another problem
I'm now having.

I'll describe it here just in case someone else bumps into this.
The initial error message I saw was:

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted/python/reflect.py",
line 335, in namedModule
    topLevel = __import__(name)
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/calendarserver/sidecar/task.py", line
39, in   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py", line
37, in

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twext/web2/static.py", line 35,
in   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twext/web2/resource.py", line
33, in   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twext/web2/iweb.py",
line 152,
in ImportError: No module named iweb

This was not very helpful (in fact I was confused because the last entry
clearly shows there is a module iweb!). After setting the $PYTHONPATH to
include /opt/calendarserver/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twext/web2
(besides the already included
/opt/calendarserver/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages) another version was
(apparently) used, and the help message was better:

  File
"/opt/calendarserver/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twext/web2/iweb.py", line
152, in     from twisted.web.iweb import IRequest as IOldRequest
ImportError: No module named iweb

Aha. It was not looking for twext.web2.iweb, but for twisted.web.iweb.
locate shows that I have 3 locations of twisted:

/opt/calendarserver/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted
/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/twisted

Unfortunately, twisted.web.iweb is in the third path, while python is
looking in the first path (since it found a twisted subfolder there).

I had hoped to keep the installation calenderserver out of /usr, but it
now seems I either have to copy (of symlink) files back and forth, or
merge the site-package folders.

I'll do that tomorrow (it's late here), but at least this is not very
hard. Thanks for the help.

Freek