[CalendarServer-users] CalendarServer 3.1 on Ubuntu 11.10 Server

Andre LaBranche dre at apple.com
Wed Dec 28 12:35:18 PST 2011

On Dec 28, 2011, at 11:29 AM, Jim J wrote:

> Thanks Andre!
>
> The idea works, not so much the implementation though. I'll post what I've found, perhaps I missed something otherwise it might be something to look into or at least help others.
>
> I was able to set up the database schema but I couldn't do it using the bootstrap Python script. The script imports calendarserver.tools.bootstrapdatabase and runs main(). The bootstrapdatabase.py file makes some improper (and un-overrideable) assumptions. First, CONNECTNAME is assumed to be "_postgres" but on Ubuntu it's just "postgres" (no leading underscore). Maybe this isn't a bad assumption on Mac OS X Server? Second it assumes the existence of database user "caldav" and database "caldav". Unfortunately I'd already committed to 'caldavd' (trailing 'd') being the username and group for the daemon so that didn't work either.

See the 'database connectivity' section in this document:

http://trac.calendarserver.org/wiki/MultiServerDeployment

Basically you just need to set the postgres DSN as appropriate for your setup.

Cheers,
-dre

> I went into the Python file and changed those. Then it assumed that the SQL script that it needed to execute was located at /usr/share/caldavd/lib/python/.../current.sql. However, when I installed calendarserver using ./run -i that's not where it put the SQL script! It put it in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/.../current.sql. I ended up quitting at this point and logged into PostgresSQL as the caldavd user and manually executed the SQL script.
>
> Finally I was able to get calendarserver fully running *without SSL encryption*. When I went to enable SSL, I seem to have tripped over some crazy bug in the twisted framework. I didn't dig too deep but in Twisted 11.0.0 there's a file internet/tcp.py. In the Connection class there's an "if SSL:" and then a bunch of functions. Inside _startTLS there's a line:
>
> self.fileno = self.socket.fileno
>
> This line asserts. I don't really know why. Something about OpenSSH.SSL.Connection doesn't have attribute 'fileno'. Anyway, I gave up at this point, locked the unencrypted calendarserver to localhost and wrapped it in stunnel4. That seems to work. That line doesn't seem to exist in Twisted 10.x or even in 11.1.0 so I'm guessing it was a problem.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Jim
>
> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 7:10 PM, Andre LaBranche <dre at apple.com> wrote:
> Forgot to cc the list... See quoted text for answers :)
>
> -dre
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 27, 2011, at 6:34 PM, Andre LaBranche <dre at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> We only provision schema if we spawn Postgres. To use an externally managed DB, provision schema with calendarserver_bootstrap_database.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -dre
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Dec 27, 2011, at 4:33 PM, Jim J <jahosefet at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Andre,
>>>
>>> Thanks! That's a very useful link actually. I've been trying to figure out what all the options are. For some reason it didn't catch my attention during my 'grep's. That fixes all the above problems, I can even use -u and -g now.
>>>
>>> Next problem:
>>> I created the caldavd user in PostgreSQL and created the caldavd database (I'm using -u caldavd -g caldavd again). I noticed this connects to the database using the caldavd user. Now I get this error:
>>>
>>> 2011-12-27 16:17:47-0500 [-] [txdav.common.datastore.util.UpgradeDatabaseSchemaService#warn] Beginning database schema check.
>>> 2011-12-27 16:17:47-0500 [-] [txdav.common.datastore.util.UpgradeDatabaseSchemaService#warn] Required schema version: 3.
>>> 2011-12-27 16:17:47-0500 [-] Unhandled error in Deferred: