[CalendarServer-users] How to backup database/server

Andre LaBranche dre at apple.com
Wed Feb 23 15:05:53 PST 2011

pg_dump should be fine, and we use that internally. What problems are you having with pg_dump? You may need to pass the socket path with the -h option to pg_dump. You can find the socket path being used by calendar server from a process listing, as shown in the highlighted text below:

andre at xomg[~]ps auxww | grep "shared_buffers"
andre          16586   0.0  0.0  2443004   2320   ??  S     3:01PM   0:00.14 /Users/andre/work/icalserver/CalendarServer/postgresql-9.0.3/_root/bin/postgres -c listen_addresses= -k /tmp/ccs_postgres_80a9f0294e823bfd0abf299a4863cf90 -c shared_buffers=30 -c max_connections=20 -c standard_conforming_strings=on

In this example, the following command (executed as 'andre') would produce a dump of the caldav db:

pg_dump -h /tmp/ccs_postgres_80a9f0294e823bfd0abf299a4863cf90 caldav

HTH,
-dre