[CalendarServer-users] Install of CalenderServer fails on Ubuntu 10.04

Andre LaBranche dre at apple.com
Wed Jan 12 14:16:42 PST 2011

It's been a while since the last release, so trunk is pretty different from the last 'stable' release. It's generally not recommended to run trunk code in a production environment, or if you do, make sure to test it thoroughly for your use cases. One reason that you may wish to avoid trunk code is that long-term problems can crop up, e.g. when upgrading to the next major version, we only support upgrades from older releases and not necessarily development versions.

I would probably recommend testing the most recent release to see if it does the job for you. Regarding how to actually deploy it on the production host, the 'run' script has an 'install' method that can install the various resources in the standard locations (e.g. /usr/local/...), however things like process lifecycle management are left up to the administrator. I would recommend that you do all the testing of your target release (or dev code if you wish) on a non-production host, including the installation using run script, and also whatever scripts you wish to use to start and stop the service, etc.

There is not a great deal of documentation about our server outside of the PDF for iCal Server, however this is not targeted at the open source distribution, but rather the integrated distribution that is part of Mac OS X Server.

The documentation (in a somewhat tattered state, unfortunately) for the open source distribution is all located here: http://trac.calendarserver.org/

Hope this helps,
-dre