[CalendarServer-users] Couldn't listen on any:logs/caldavd.sock: [Errno 22] Invalid argument.

Scott Cherf cherf at ambient-light.com
Wed Jun 8 22:25:10 PDT 2011

For the list. Sorry about dropping the CC.

----

Hi Glyph -

Well I re-installed python, this time version 2.7. I installed once from MacPorts and once using the .dmg distribution from python.org. Unfortunately neither install corrected the problem. Later I read the README file and discovered Twisted isn't supposed to work with Python 2.7 so I re-installed 2.6 from MacPorts. I couldn't find a 2.6 distribution on the python.org site but I didn't really look hard either.

Using the fresh python 2.6 installed at /opt/local/bin/python I observed the following:

[alphonse:tags/release/Twisted] cherf% python
Python 2.6.6 (r266:84292, Jun  8 2011, 18:50:17)
>>> import socket
>>> skt = socket.socket(socket.AF_UNIX, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
>>> skt.bind("some.socket")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 1, in bind
socket.error: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

I've also attached an rtf containing the results of performing a 'run -v' from the CalanderServer 2.5 directory right after re-installing python 2.6. I didn't use run -s before I did it so it shows a stripped down list of warnings, I thought some of them might be pertinent.

Not being familiar with python (or Twisted) I'm at a loss. I can say that AFAIK the python 2.6 install is vanilla. I'm a Perl/Objective C guy and I've only started to become acquainted with python as a result of putting up MOD_PYTHON for Trac in Apache.

Any clues or suggestions appreciated and I'll just keep banging my head in private otherwise...

"three man teams, radio silence, weapons-free rules of engagement"? Indeed! :)

Regards,
Scott.