[CalendarServer-users] best practices for sharing calendars

Omer Faruk SEN omerfsen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 12:15:05 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am trying to understand the concept of calendar sharing and I will
appreciate if someone clarify this to me.

1) My main purpose is to use calendarserver as a remote calendar server that
users can use remote calendar of their own via remotely. That can be done
easily of course.

2) My second purpose is to create a shared calendar.

For my second aim what is the best practice? I am trying to understand the
calendar sharing concept. How do you do that?

a)Using an account and giving out its user name and password to everybody
involved? such as:

  <user>
    <uid>shared</uid>
    <password>shared</password>
    <name>shared calendar</name>
  </user>

b) Or creating a group and adding all users to that shared group so
everybody can see each others calendar that is at the same group?

I have found a tutorial
http://www.ronregev.com/misc/pim_server_tutorial/and actually i have
applied to concept here but i can't seem to create a
shared calendar especially usage of guid part as stated in that document:

*If everything worked so far, then we are almost set. Almost, but not quite.
The problem is that the CalDAV server identifies the calendar groups
(meaning, the users) by assigning them unique, long guid values. We have to
locate the newly-created guid value for our first user, and add it to the
file accounts-text.xml, or the server will not know which calendar belongs
to that user the next time we run it. This is why we must add one user at a
time to iCal - so that we can identify the proper guid for this user.*

What is the relation of uid and guid? Is it used for sharing calendar if not
what is the aim of guid here?

standart unix permissions?

c) My last question is that say there is a shared calendar

http://<server>/calendars/users/shared/calendar and i see that a client can
make an event public or private. What is the aim of making an event public
or private? It is used for calendar sharing in a grouped environment

Regards.