[CalendarServer-users] calendarserver 3.2 on Debian unstable throwing error "socket.error: [Errno 22] Invalid argument" out of the box?

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Jul 11 10:24:08 PDT 2012

Le Jul 11, 2012 à 5:29 AM, Tobias Balle-Petersen <tobiasbp at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
>>
>> My first guess would be "kernel bug".  Any chance you can test with an
>> older kernel?
>>

> I have now installed an older kernel on my Debian Wheezy:
> Linux caldavd 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Sun May 6 04:00:17 UTC 2012 x86_64
> GNU/Linux

Thanks for trying this.  Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase!

> Connection to port 8008 on the machine still gives me this error:
>
> 2012-07-11 14:27:24+0200 [-] Unhandled Error

> 	  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twext/python/sendfd.py", line 42,
> in sendfd
> 	    socketfd, description, 0, [(SOL_SOCKET, SCM_RIGHTS, pack("i", fd))]
> 	socket.error: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

So, what this is saying is that the coordinating process ("master" or "combined") is trying to send the file descriptor that the request came in on to the worker process ("slave").  Something about sending that along is not working, because one of the arguments is invalid.

It's possible that this is a bug in calendar server, although I would currently rate that possibility as unlikely since I have run calendar server in a variety of environments and have not seen that error.  The only other thing that comes to mind (if it's not a kernel bug, which seems even more unlikely now as it affects such a wide range of versions for you) is that it's a result of some peculiar firewall configuration.

Do you have any extra security on this machine?  Custom AppArmor configuration, or iptables rules, or LXC containers... anything that would change the behavior of basic networking APIs?

-glyph