[CalendarServer-users] Problem creating multiple calendars for the same user

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jun 18 10:46:27 PDT 2012

Le Jun 17, 2012 à 8:51 PM, Jane Atkinson a écrit :

> I have calendarserver v. 2.4 (from the repos) running on Ubuntu 12.04

2.4 may be the most recently packaged version from Ubuntu, but it is _super_ old.  We've been working with the Debian maintainer (on this very list!) to try to get a more recent version packaged; maybe they can help you out.

> The default calendar
> (http://servername:8008/calendars/users/myname/calendar) operates
> correctly.
>
> I'd like to add other calendars for myname (e.g.
> http://servername:8008/calendars/users/myname/workcal), but I'm having
> problems. I've looked extensively and can't see any reference to a
> solution.
>
> I can't add these using a client. It won't create the new directory in
> the manner that it creates the original calendar directory.

What is "a client"?  How are you attempting to add it?

> I've also tried manually adding a directory alongside the calendar
> directory and changing ownership and permissions to match the other.

Don't do that.  The fact that the data store is a filesystem is an accident of implementation, not something you should rely on.  (In fact, in less ancient versions of the server, it's a database, instead.)

> If I do that, I can only connect to the directory intermittently, and
> though I can write to it, Lightning will not let me read anything, and
> Evolution reads only events created in Evolution. (If I go to the
> directory as root, I can see all the events are there.)

Please file bugs against Evolution and Lightning.  Their support for CalDAV could definitely use some improvement.

> Is 2.4 capable of supporting multiple calendars per user? Or is there
> simply something I've missed?

Yes, it is.  I suspect that the clients you're attempting to use are simply buggy.  Protocol traces (i.e. tcpdumps) of what the clients are doing against the server might be useful, but we won't really be able to do anything about it unless the problem persists in more recent (3.0+) versions of the server.

Thanks for reporting the problems though, I hope that your experience gets smoother :).

-glyph