[CalendarServer-users] Q: Usable docs for installing/configuring calendar and contacts server?

Andre LaBranche dre at apple.com
Fri Aug 16 15:07:52 PDT 2013

Hello,

Your appraisal of our documentation is fairly accurate. Incase you haven’t seen what we do have, it’s here:
https://trac.calendarserver.org

The server’s main config file and the comments therein are the best single location of information about the server’s high-level capabilities and how they are configured. Be aware that there are many more plist keys than appear in caldavd.plist; the defaults come from the file twistedcaldav/stdconfig.py for the version you’re using. You said 2.4, so I should mention that 2.4 is ancient.

I might suggest that you use our “sandbox” to get started; it’s easy because it’s all preconfigured with a basic and generic config, so you can just fire up the service and immediately start kicking the tires. At least in theory...

Satisfying all of Calendar Server’s external software dependencies can be tricky sometimes, given the great variety of OS vendors, versions, and configurations that exist in the world. We do our best with the “run” script, and it works well on OS X, but elsewhere it’s hit or miss for the same reason that package / port makers never run out of work.

I spent a few minutes with Ubuntu 12 LTS today and arrived at a fairly simple process for getting our trunk code running. Start with two sets of apt-get invocations to load up some dependencies:

sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion checkinstall python-setuptools python-xattr python-twisted subversion curl libreadline-dev libffi-dev
sudo apt-get build-dep postgresql python-ldap