[CalendarServer-users] "write only" when syncing iPhone with old version of calendarserver running on NAS

Eric Laurenz eric.laurenz at gmx.de
Wed Jul 3 15:02:53 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I want to stop sharing my calendar google and the guys behind. So I
tried to setup a calendar server on my NAS (WD My Book Live). Though,
after hours of searching and trying, I got to a point where I need help.

Baseline:
The NAS runs a Debian Lenny (5.0). I don't want to mess around with it
too much, so upgrading is not an option. I used the calendarserver
package for Lenny, i.e. 1.2.dfsg-8. A bit outdated, I admit, though I
wouldn't know how to install a newer version w/o a precooked Debian
package. Clients are: TB+Lighting and iPhone iOS 6.1.3. After some
effort I managed to set up the server, disable http and get all traffic
through ssl. The NAS is behind a router that forwards the ssl port.
TB+Lighting works fine.

Problem:
With the iPhone it seems as I had only write access to the calendar. On
it don't get any other entry but those added with the iPhone itself.
With the other clients I can read the entries made through the iPhone
just like all other entries. Disabling ssl and passing all traffic
cleartext didn't change anything.

To make sure it wasn't the iPhone, I set up calendarserver (2.4.dfsg-7)
on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Here everything works fine. However, I can't use my
notebook as a server ...

I attached the config files and the error log for the following actions:

 1. restart the server,
 2. try to sync with iPhone (failed),
 3. sync with TB+Lightning (works).

Thanks in advance and all the best,