[CalendarServer-users] Some observations and questions

Scott Cherf cherf at ambient-light.com
Sun Jun 23 13:54:34 PDT 2013

Hi List -

After a two year hiatus I've begun working with release 4.1 and 4.2 of the Darwin Calendar Server running on a mac mini under MacOS 10.6.8. The machine acts as a server for around 6 other client machines and one media server, all of which are running MacOS 10.6.8 (hey, I run a tight ship! :)

I was initially disappointed to find the problem I'd reported 2 years ago involving the installation of the server on an external USB drive hasn't been corrected yet. I suppose I should volunteer to do that since I have all the test cases around. It really seems to by a Python bug though and I don't know much about Python. In the meantime, I proved that yes, 4.1 and 4.2 both still need to be installed on an internal drive.

I had some difficulty understanding the use of accounts-test.xml and resources-test.xml. I was following a guide ( http://dcswiki.org/dwiki/doku.php?id=users ) that discussed configuring the accounts.xml file after reading the 4.1/doc/Admin/DirectoryService-XML.txt instructions and there were several things there that just don't seem to work. In order of appearance:

- I can't get python to parse the <autoschedule> or <auto-schedule> forms for locations and resources. I'd rather not try to send eMail to my guest room for approval.

- Someone needs to be a little more clear about where GUID's come from. A simple "Run uuidgen and copy the string into this attribute" would probably do the trick?

- I couldn't get the parser to accept <proxies> or any of the variants (read-only/read-write) What's up with this?

- When I included my locations and resources in accounts.xml, the server seemed to ignore them. I finally gutted the contents of resources-test.xml, replaced them with my definitions and things worked fine. For a while I was considering changing the name of my guest house to 'uranus' though. I can't find anything in caldevd.plist that declares the name or location of this file. I assume it's hardcoded into some startup script?

- Finally, I can get run -k to work in either 4.1 or 4.2. I get a series of complaints with the form:

  	 File "/Users/iCal/CalendarServer/tags/release/4.1/twext/enterprise/dal/parseschema.py", line 24, in <module>
 	 from sqlparse import parse, keywords ImportError: No module named sqlparse

And I end up having to use the logical equivalent of "killall" for the UID iCal to shut the thing down. Hmm. For the record I have MySQL and SQLLite installed. The server seams to be using a process called postgres if that helps identify the configuration.

If I'm doing something horribly wrong (like trying to use the wrong release tags) I'd appreciate advice from the community. Honestly, I'd just buy MacOS 10.6 Server if it wasn't for the fact I spent 3 months trying to make the demo version work and finally gave up. The good news is I have the server working (sort of) and I'm now trying to figure out how to install it in a way that will let me start it with launchd.

Regards,
Scott.