[CalendarServer-users] Unable to have a stable setup for CalendarServer 4.2

Yoann Gini yoann.gini at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 17:57:04 PDT 2013

Hi Axel,

Le 15 mars 2013 à 19:37, Axel Rau <Axel.Rau at Chaos1.DE> a écrit :

> Am 15.03.2013 um 18:49 schrieb Yoann Gini:
>
>> It was a pain because the 4.2 didn’t handle well the 64 bits socket descriptors but I’ve add some fixes for that.
> I hit the same bug. It has been discussed here:
> 	http://www.mail-archive.com/calendarserver-dev@lists.macosforge.org/msg01611.html

Yes, I’ve seen your post during my troubleshooting session. I haven’t use your code but that basically the same without logs. They already have too many of them in this tools, it’s such a mess to use. Even Italians spoke less than CalendarServers!!

>> That was the same with de dependencies, a lot of things seems to be unstable on 64bits, so I install the requirements by my own and run it with a -nr to don’t use built-in deps.
> My port does not use the run script at all, installing dependencies through the ports system.

That’s my final working config, the deps installed by the run script didn’t work.

Can you share your rc.d config file with us?

>> I can run the server, authenticate my self, if I enable the principals navigation I can see all my users, I can connect iCal and use it. Well, it’s work.
> I just reached a similar point, where I start testing, using calendar and addressbook clients on OSX 10.6.8 and 10.8.3, but went soon in a problem, where the master process starts eating cpu cycles, as described here:
> 	http://www.mail-archive.com/calendarserver-dev@lists.macosforge.org/msg01618.html

Well, same state here…

  PID    UID    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
 5454      0      3  20    0   270M 56592K usem    0 106:09  3.86% python2.7

>> Anyone can give me a clue about what to look ? What can be the source of the problem ? How to troubleshooting it ?
> I have no idea yet, but maybe you look through the above thread.
> Currently I'm trying to learn how to profile python processes...

That’s unbelievable… On OS X Server, we have CalendarServer and it’s work really well, it can handle a lot of loads and don’t fail like that…

I will take some time to make a diff between the public 4.2 release and the built-in Calendar Server in Server for OS X Mountain Lion. I will share my result with you.