[CalendarServer-users] weird logging behavior

Pascal Robert probert at macti.ca
Thu Mar 21 08:19:03 PDT 2013

Le 2013-03-21 à 11:14, Marko Bauhardt <mb at datameer.com> a écrit :

> Hi Morgen
>
>> The entry without a username is normal and is because the request wasn't authenticated (note the 401 HTTP response status).  In response to a 401 the user-agent will repeat the request with credentials included and you should then get a 20X response and an access.log entry with the authenticated username.
>
> unauthenticated requests means at least one client which is not logged in tries to connect to our calendar?

It is normal… Especially by the fact that iCal Server don't support Basic auth, so the client must do at least one non-auth request to do the Digest workflow. This is just like a browser would do.

> so we have to figure out which client is making so many requests to our calendar installation.
>
> we found also in our logs user names in a UUID style, e.g.: 1234-4321-abcd
> Any idea who is sending those usernames?

It's iCal itself who use this, and it's perfectly good. Resources in iCal Server are accessible by both the username or the UUID. It's not a problem.