[CalendarServer-users] Protect against new SSL vuln

Jacques Distler distler at golem.ph.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 16 19:26:29 PDT 2014

On Oct 16, 2014, at 7:41 PM, Pascal Dallaire <pascaldallaire at cre-gim.net> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> Thanks for answering so quickly! I’m trying to use the older variants method before I upgrade the Calendar server completely. But in this patch, isn’t the best method TLSv1? and not SSLv23?

I was confused by this, too. According to

    https://www.openssl.org/docs/ssl/SSL_CTX_new.html

SSLv23_method is a catch-all, allowing connections using SSLv2, SSLv3, TLSv1, TLSv1.1 and TLSv1.2 protocols. You can then exclude particular protocols using, e.g.,

    SSL_OP_NO_TLSv1_1

to exclude TLSv1.1 (while still allowing the others).

By contrast, TLSv1_method (or SSLv3_method) allows only connections using that particular protocol (respectively TLSv1 and SSLv3).

That may be OK. All (or almost all) clients speak TLSv1. But it would be preferable to allow them to negotiate a TLSv1.2 connection if possible.