[CalendarServer-users] EMAIL coming as Attendee parameter

Cyrus Daboo cdaboo at apple.com
Wed Aug 26 17:57:54 PDT 2015

Hi Gaurav,

--On August 26, 2015 at 3:29:50 PM -0700 Gaurav Jain
<monkeyfdude at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am getting EMAIL as an Attendee parameter with DCS 6.0. But ical specs
> say otherwise as mentioned below.
>
> Due to which the parsing is failing for ical4j.
>
> Why is EMAIL an attendee parameter?
>

> The ical specs for attendees is
>
> /*
>  * ; the following are optional, ; but MUST NOT occur more than once
> (";" cutypeparam) / (";"memberparam) / (";"
>  * roleparam) / (";" partstatparam) / (";" rsvpparam) / (";"
> deltoparam) / (";" delfromparam) / (";"
>  * sentbyparam) / (";"cnparam) / (";" dirparam) / (";" languageparam) /
>  */

iCalendar allows for the addition of new properties and parameters if you
look at the syntax you will see "iana-token" items used as a place holder
for future standard protocol elements). The EMAIL parameter is defined in a
draft specification which the IETF is working on:
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-calext-extensions-00#section-6.2>.

ical4j should not be so strict as to refuse to accept new standard
properties. As you can see in that draft, there are a whole bunch of new
ones being worked on.

That said, please check to see if you have the latest version of ical4j,
because it may already support the new protocol elements, or provide a more
relaxed mode so that it does not fail when something new comes along that
it does not recognize.

--
Cyrus Daboo