[CalendarServer-users] DCS Production Deployment

Andre LaBranche dre at apple.com
Wed Feb 18 16:49:56 PST 2015

Hi Rhodey,

Comments inline.

> On Feb 18, 2015, at 4:18 PM, rhodey <rhodey at anhonesteffort.org> wrote:
>
> I've been running DCS in production for the past ~year, at the moment my
> deployment supports ~800 users. It took *a lot* of reading through doc
> and code to feel even remotely comfortable with storing real data for
> real people and I still don't feel all that great about it.

We are slowly compiling actual documentation. I'll take this as feedback in support of accelerating this process.

> 2. DCS uses the python twisted framework but at the same time it
> doesn't-- calls to DirectoryService (regardless of the implementation)
> are blocking 0.o

I believe this is addressed in 6.0+ with the new twext.who stuff that is all async, iirc.

> 3. DCS has this weird multi-process, master-slave concept where multiple
> DCS instances run on the same box-- I just think this is weird and
> dealing with dead processes has been strange.

The Python GIL means we need a multi process architecture to saturate CPU on multi core systems. Technically these processes are all part of the same service instance because they all cooperate on doing the work.

> 4. If a user uploads a contact containing a photo and you're using a
> database for storage (as you should), DCS will store that photo in your
> database-- yuck! Even with your 1000 users, each with maybe 100 contact
> photos, things get kinda bloated. So, I modified DCS to strip contact
> photos from contacts and store them in Amazon S3, then piece them back
> together on demand.

Cool hack :)

> 5. Someone could DOS my DCS instances via network resource exhaustion
> very easily and there is very little that I could do to stop it other
> than launch a crazy number of EC2 instances and burn through money. DCS
> is not efficient (blocking calls to DirectoryService, etc) and I feel
> very uncomfortable having any less than than two m3.medium instances
> running at all times (costly!).

Understood, however this is true of any network service that limits its own concurrency (imo this is required of any sane service). Part of the challenge is the extremely large range of request cost for legitimate CalDAV requests. We are moving to a model where we do more work a synchronously in a database work queue, and we now have a notion of cost in that implementation, so we are becoming better equipped to address resource utilization problems.

> All that being said, DCS is still the best free and open source option
> out there but I wish I had written my own WebDAV server from scratch
> using 'dropwizard' instead. The world of high availability services
> changes so rapidly and many of the ideas in this project are dated--
> like, even table joins really shouldn't exist anymore.

We're not yet ready for NoSQL but maybe someday :)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested to hear anything else you'd like to share about your experiences hosting DCS.

-dre