[CalendarServer-users] Possible to do push notify using cert from Server.app?

Richard Johnson raj at mischievous.us
Tue Aug 14 15:23:40 PDT 2018

Hi all!

I have been running my own calendar/contacts server on a MacOS X system using Apple's Server.app for many years.  I have now installed my own "calendarserver" installation on my own Linux (Ubuntu) system and that's working fine, but without push notify for calendar updates, it really doesn't update to my iPhone at all, until I look at it each day!

I know that there's a open source push_notify for postfix and I believe I've read about the same for calendarserver.  I know that I need a push notify certificate from Apple and that usually that's available only with a developer's account.  I've also read that Apple's iPhone/iPad, etc., doesn't support push notifications from anything other than iCloud or the X Server (which I take to mean "Server.app").

I'm wondering if it's at all possible to use my existing cert from my Server.app installation and make use of it under calendarserver on Linux?  If this should work, I'm willing to spend the time to figure it all out and get it working, but I also don't want to waste a lot of time on something which doesn't have a chance!

Also, if this solution won't work going forward, then I should just resign myself to storing my info on iCloud, I guess.  I really don't like doing that, but maybe it's the only way?

I've read through Apple Migration document and it really doesn't help at all.  I clearly states that there is currently no solution to the push notify issue for any type of migration!

/raj