[CalendarServer-users] Help! CalendarServer was disconnected from OpenDirectory for days, and now everything is gone!?

Andre LaBranche dre at apple.com
Mon Jan 6 11:58:39 PST 2020

Hi,

Sorry to hear about this... it sounds like your diagnosis is correct that this is a helpful feature gone awry. The default for macOS Server's Calendar service is for this feature to be enabled, and to delete data associated with users that have been missing from the directory for more than one week. Most of the configurable values are not expressed in the main config file, but rather inherited. Here's a full view of the available knobs:

https://github.com/apple/ccs-calendarserver/blob/master/conf/caldavd-stdconfig.plist#L2114

First thing you should do is check the calendarserver_trash tool, a command line tool that might be able to recover data for you. I honestly don't remember if data purged by 'AutomaticPurging' can be recovered by calendarserver_trash, but it's definitely worth a shot. Run it with "-h" to see the options.

If you have to restore from backup, it goes something like this:

1) Fish the DB directory out of your backups. By default, it's at "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Database.xpg" (I think. See below.)
2) Stop the service
3) Move the existing Database.xpg aside (don't delete it, just move or rename it)
4) Copy the Database.xpg directory from your backups into place
5) Start service

Caveat: it has been literally years since I touched any of this, but I can say that the database wrapper used by CalendarServer was designed to make this sort of stuff as easy as possible (or at least, far far easier than the equivalent cajoling of Postgres required to do it 'the old fashioned way'.)

You might choose instead to restore the entire "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/" directory, which by default includes Database.xpg and also event attachments.

To fully comprehend how CalendarServer evaluates relative paths for things in config files, you also need:
https://github.com/apple/ccs-calendarserver/blob/master/twistedcaldav/stdconfig.py#L1276

Because the macOS server plist <https://github.com/apple/ccs-calendarserver/blob/master/conf/caldavd-apple.plist> configures an absolute ServerRoot and relative values for DataRoot and DatabaseRoot, that should mean that Database.xpg lives inside "/Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/".

Good luck!

-dre