[darwinbuild] introducing darwinup

Kevin Van Vechten kevin at opendarwin.org
Tue Nov 15 12:48:38 PST 2005

Last night I committed a project called darwinup to the darwinbuild
project.

The goal of darwinup is to provide a way to safely test roots built
with darwinbuild on the base system.  Roots that are installed with
darwinup can be uninstalled, restoring the system to its original state.

darwinup should be considered experimental at this time, so exercise
caution while testing it, but I'm not aware of any catastrophic
problems.  darwinup does not currently back up any extended
attributes (including resource forks) and I suspect the format of the
database may change yet, so there might be compatibility issues in
the near future.

That being said, I'd appreciate any feedback from testing, bug
reports, or fixes.

Thanks,

Kevin