[darwinbuild] how to build the Security project?

Kevin Van Vechten kevin at opendarwin.org
Tue Nov 15 15:34:32 PST 2005

Hi Ben,

First you'll need to initialize a darwinbuild directory.  Since
you're trying to build Security-222, I'm assuming you're targetting
build 8A428 -- Mac OS X 10.4.  After that, you can build the Security
project.  Use the following:

# darwinbuild -init 8A428
# darwinbuild Security

This will fail in the final link stage due to a few portions of the
Security framework which are not open source.  You can apply a patch
to work around this problem.  Use the following:

# cd Sources
# curl -O http://release.opendarwin.org/release/8.2.1/Sources/
Security-222.p1.patch
# tar xzf Security-222.tar.gz
# cd Security-222
# patch -p1 < ../Security-222.p1.patch
# cd ../..
# darwinbuild Security

If you want to make changes to the security project, you should make
those changes in the Sources/Security-222 directory, and DarwinBuild
will use the directory instead of the .tar.gz when building.

However, keep in mind that the Security project is really just a
wrapper around all the various libsecurity_ projects, and any source
changes you want to make likely need to be done in one of those
projects first, and then the Security project needs to be rebuilt,
like so:

[edit some project, for example Souces/libsecurity_keychain]
# darwinbuild libsecurity_keychain
# darwinbuild Security

Hope this helps,

Kevin